AUSTRALIA'S VERY OWN
CAMP OVEN & OUTDOOR COOKING
AND CAMPING FORUM

am
pm

East Australian Time
Welcome, Guest.
If this is your first visit to COCIA, be sure to check out the many references on the Help Board. You will have to Login or Register, before you can post. Click the register TAB below to proceed or to start viewing messages, simply select the Board that you want to visit.

Our ForumsForum Help Privacy Policy Search Camp Oven Temperature Chart

Forum Support RegisterLogin Me In

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Seasoning Problems Southern Metal Spinners Spun Steel camp Oven (Read 7911 times)

Dec 13th, 2009 at 12:04pm

reel   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

Zodiac sign: Virgo

I need some help plsssssssssssssssssss. Purchased a new southern metal spinners spun steel camp oven from a local camp store last week. Wife and i tried to season it by placing a teaspoon of oil in the bottom of the oven and placing it in our electric stove oven on 200 degrees took it out and coated the camp oven with the hot  oil by rubbing it all over with a paper towel, in fact we did this twice. We lallowed the camp oven to cool between coats.

The net result is not great as i hope you can see by the pics, in the bottom and parts of the camp oven is dark patches like a  layered coat of oil in the camp oven, the one patch in the bottom of the camp oven i can virtually scrape off with my finger nail lol.

As i was hoping to take this oven camping with my can any of you experts point out what i did wrong and how to rectify it pls?

I have a normal cast iron camp oven that we encountered absolutely no trouble with the seasoning of it at all and it all works just fantastic, obviously i havent a clue on how to attack the spun steel types. But i thought i  followed the instructions as  detailed on the web site for spun steel camp ovens.

Thanking you all in advance.

regards,

Ron

PB010001.zip (170 KB | )
IP Logged  

Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 12:22pm

poddy dodger   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

Just my opinion but trying to season spun steel is pointless. When I use a Bedourie I just sit whatever I'm cooking on a trivet, wash it out afterwards and just give it a light wipe inside with olive oil to stop it rusting. Not my choice of ovens for stews and casseroles.
Cast iron is a different thing altogether, once properly seasoned they are a joy to use, I cook four or five meals a week and find the more you use them the better they get.

pd

When I die I hope my missus doesn't sell my camp ovens  for what I told her I paid for them. pd
IP Logged  

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 1:31pm

Rastas000   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
Hmmmm, hardwood coals....

Brisvegas, Queensland, Australia

Zodiac sign: Capricorn

I have a Bedourie, and an Aussie Camp Oven (ACO) and I love them for the light weight approach to open fire or coals cooking.  The seasoning can be hard to keep up tot he pot, if you scratch and scrape the surface as it responds differently to the Cast Iron (CI) ovens.

I agree with PD about the differences in Cast Iron and the spun metal, the cleaning of the Aussie CO's is much easier in a spun metal if it is probably seasoned.    I do not do "wet" dishes in the ACO as I generally use a larger pot.  However, roasts and dampers (and the like) are what I cook in my Bedourie and ACO.

So, onto your issue...  There is machine oil on the pot when supplied.  I am wondering if you gave it a really good scrub before seasoning it.  If you don't it can make a gad-awful mess as it stops the cooking oil doing what you want it to in the seasoning process.  A hard lesson learned by me..

If I may suggest a resolution...  Clean out the CO with a scourer and hot soapy water. Rinse well.  If you are worried there is still oily there, use ha;f a lemon dipped in salt as the scourer after the soapy wash to cut any oil, Get the metal to a "clean state" or bright look to the metal.  If it does not come off after that, then it is OK to continue.

I use canola oil in the spray can to season with.  I also a hooded oven (because I do not have open fires that often to season on).  Doing this in the inside oven WILL result in the smoke alarm having a coronary.

Simple seasoning technique for me is, heat the pot/oven to as hot as you can get it in the BBQ (Use a fire if you don't have a hooded BBQ), then spay the oil on the metal (AWAY FROM NAKED FLAME).  It will smoke like a train. Allow to cool and wipe out any excess.  Heat again, then repeat above.  When you have done this, heat the oven and lid (open side down so no oil collects, not that any should if you have used spray on oil) and bake for a while to cook it in... (15 mins or so)

You wont get a "tradition" seasoning, but the will be a good element of "non stickiness" and it will look like the oven it should be.

I, like PD, never cook in the spun metal, without a trivet...  If I do want to do a wet dish in the oven I use an inner pot, on a trivet, and it works a treat.

Hope it helps.

Bob

A furphy, is Australian slang for a rumour, or an erroneous or improbable story.  You would never get anything but the plain honest dinky-di truth here... I promise!!!!  Yup, hand on my heart, promise, true blue, uh-huh true dinks, dead set!!  
IP Logged  

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:20pm

Robbo   Offline
COCIA Diamond Member
COCIA....its a sickness

I've never had anything to do with spun steel CO's but I'm in the same opinion as PD.
The only suggestion I would make to stop the pooling in  the bottom is to simply invert the base upside down whilst seasoning.

Robbo

May your glass be ever full.
May the roof over your head be always strong.
And may you be in heaven
half an hour before the devil knows you're dead.
IP Logged  

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:54pm

reel   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

Thankyou  all so very much for the information, especially you Bob much appreciated, i will follow your instructions to letter.

IP Logged  

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2009 at 5:55pm

reel   Offline
COCIA Bronze Member
I Love COCIA

Thankyou  all so very much for the information, especially you Bob much appreciated, i will follow your instructions to letter.

IP Logged  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

Link to This Topic

Australia’s Very Own Camp Oven & Outdoor Cooking And Camping Forum Powered by YaBB 2.5 AE!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2024. All Rights Reserved.

Valid RSS Valid XHTML Valid CSS Powered by Perl Source Forge

Page completed in 0.7665 seconds.

Privacy Policy

Registration Agreement